Sunday, January 13, 2013

Christmas and Some Happenings at School

Recently my school held their annual school birthday celebration.  We don't usually celebrate this in the US, so I didn't know what to expect.  I knew that it would probably involve me dancing, and what do you know, it did.  On maybe the second day of the festivities, there was a parade in which each class had to make some performance.  Because I am an exchange student, my class decided to highlight me in the dance, which we performed in front of the whole school...  It was actually really fun and a bit exhilarating, and I was glad to be able to do something I would most likely never do in the US.  While on this exchange year, I feel I have accepted the idea that I can be a little crazier than at home and not fear judgment so much.  Being an exchange student, I feel as if I have some sort of license to act differently or not follow the crowd so much, which has been liberating.  Anyway, the parade was fun, and certainly something different from school in the US.  Everyone (and I mean everyone) in the high school participates in the dancing. Trying to imagine this happening in Northfield High is really strange.  While NHS students love their school, I'm 99% sure I would not see the enthusiasm and gusto of my Taiwanese schoolmates duplicated in their actions if they were asked to perform for the school.  Here in Taiwan, it seems as though very few students have the "I'm too cool/mature/embarrassed to do this" kind of attitude.  It's refreshing.

Besides the parade, various races and competitions were held, including a tug-of-war competition, which my class won.  I also got to participate in 100 meter dash, as well as a couple of relay races, which were quite exciting.  Apart from the physical competition, we also had a day when each class set up a tent on the basketball courts and sold various foodstuffs.  My class sold chicken wings, cream puffs, sausage, and "croissants".  Quite delicious.  I spent much of the time walking around and hawking cream puffs, and promising photographs if people agreed to buy them (people love to be photographed with foreigners here).  There was also an english singing competition for the whole school, and my class sang the wonderful song "Good Time" by Owl City and Carly Rae Jepsen.  I was sure to let them know that Owl City was a fellow Minnesotan.  My school emphasizes learning English a lot, which is why we have this competition.

Anyway, soon after these celebrations came Christmas, which is really not a huge deal here.  We had school on Christmas day.  It was kind of strange to ride the bus and walk into school on Christmas day, but to be honest, not as much as I had expected.  It was as though my brain had just forgotten that it was Christmas at all, and it was just another day of the year.  I think this was partly due to the warm weather.  Some of my classmates did exchange small cards, and everyone wished me a merry Christmas.  Oh, and in history we watched a computer animated short film detailing the nativity story, including heavily over-animated movements from the characters (Joseph was very mad about those taxes...).    That night the exchange students had arranged a gift exchange to be held in our most frequented hang-out, Kaohsiung's Central Park.  To be honest, I didn't get much of the forewarned Christmas-time homesickness, but I know some of the others were feeling it, so it was good to have some recognition of the holiday.  I received a pair of sunglasses from my Ecuadorian friend Paulo, a really nice guy.  However, they sadly broke that same night as I was trying them out, and I had to furiously stuff them in my bag to make sure Paulo didn't see that I had broken his gift...  it could have gotten very awkward, but I'm pretty sure he didn't see that I had broken them.  Crisis avoided.

After arriving home, I exchanged some gifts with my host family.  It was a very nice celebration. I have built a very good relationship with my first host family, and feel we have a comfortable rapport.  I am so thankful to them for all they have done for me in the past five months.  However, I will change families next Saturday, the 19th!  I am excited to see something new, and also a bit nervous.  You will probably hear about it in my next post.  Until then, bye-bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment