Friday, September 7, 2012

Nightmarket

As I promised in my last blogpost, this post will be about the wondrous meccas of Taiwanese food and merchandise, known simply as night markets.  So far, I have been to two night markets, one of which I have visited twice.  They have names, but unfortunately I have yet to figure out what they are...  Anyway, the first one I visited is the one I have been to twice, and is also the one that I prefer of the two.  It is very large, and has a wide selection of great food and drink.  The first time I went there, I bought a sort of sweet red tea that was quite delicious, and quite memorably, some fried squid...  the squid was SO GOOD.  The crusty outside was quite salty and tasted so, so good, and the actual meat was not bad either, and had a very interesting texture...  Below is a picture of me posing with it.


The second time I went to this night market I made sure to bring a camera along with me (the above photo was taken by my Brazilian friend Joao).  I couldn't photograph everything, but I tried to get some good shots that would help me convey to you what it's like to be in the middle of the night market...

Some meat balls sitting in a broth

The night market was very very crowded


Some delicious kebabs, I had one, it had some spices for seasoning and was so tasty


Chairs and tables are provided in the night market for eating in comfort



Some mysterious snack, it looked very interesting

A nice assortment of many types of meat

Small dumplings, about to be cooked

Fried octopus, I was very curious about this, but I decided to pass it up this time around

Clothing and other non-edible merchandise is also sold in night markets

There is also Bingo, in the night market, or some Taiwanese equivalent

Fried potatoes, I believe...

One can also play games at the night market, such as this one in which one tries to throw rings around bottles to get prizes

Some grilled shrimp


A unique stand, selling oysters


I decided to buy some... they were very delicious, especially with some lime added

Lastly, there is a ton of guava in the night market... which is good, because it is one of my favorite fruits here.

Hopefully those pictures can give you some idea of what the night markets are about.  They really are a fantastic way to experience the both Taiwanese food and people, and I know that I will continue to visit  them frequently throughout my year 

Until next time, zaijian.


3 comments:

  1. BOY YOU MAKIN ME HUNGRY! sounds like an awesome time, keep up the great posts, let's skype soon :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great pictures Eduardo! I am so glad that you are trying all of this new food!

      As for the removed comment- you know how I am with all this technology, etc....

      Love you-

      Delete